Sunday, May 12, 2013

Cologne/ Koln


So today's trip happened to be Cologne (also known as Köln to the locals). I walked around town, saw the cathedral, the Schokolade Museum, and lots and lots of Roman ruins. Many pictures to come!

I visited the cathedral there aka 'Dom' by the locals. It's literally steps away from Köln's Hauptbahnhof station. The outside is very reminiscent of Notre Dame to me. Similar gothic style and flying buttresses. The figurines decorating the arches are also comparable to Notre Dame. The gargoyles aren't nearly as scary/ malevolent looking as those at Notre Dame though.






The cathedral was hit more than 60 times by aerial bombs during WWII and is still standing (albeit with some changes). One of the windows was recently replaced by stained glass that looks pixelated, this pattern replaces plain glass that was put in after WWII. The two distinctive spires are part of the city of Köln's logo. The exterior looks very aged from acid rain and the dirt and grime from the decades, and it is always a work in progress, there was construction going on everywhere around and in the building. With the interior, there is glorious sun filtering through the amazing stained glass windows. You can tell where the more modern construction took place relative to the original style. There were several tombs within, as well as the Shrine of the Three Kings, and some amazing mosaics.




Pixel stained glass- extremely controversial.

One of the incredible mosaics in the Cathedral


The Shrine of the Three Kings

More incredible mosaics

After spending some time in the cathedral, I went to the recommended Archaelogische Zone Praetorium which is the underground Roman ruins. There are a few artifacts, a Roman tunnel (not for the claustrophobic), and a section of the ruins, including a large crack caused by a severe earthquake thousands of years ago. This museum site is where all the Roemisch-Germanische Museum's artifacts comes from. Let me tell you this was no small site that had been uncovered.





Next up was the Schokolade Museum, yes there's a chocolate museum, and of course I found it. I walked down the Rhine river to get there. The museum shows the development of chocolate in South America and in Europe, fair trade policies, how chocolate is actually made, commercialization of chocolate, the impact in wars, etc. Fairly well developed museum. Lindt sponsors the museum, and has in-house chocolates being made. When I went into the museum I received a piece of chocolate and later a small waffle dipped in milk chocolate. For a fee and time, a chocolate bar customized by your own preference of candy, spices, and nuts can be yours. Generations back, chocolate was only really available to the rich, and it was consumed as a drink. The nobility used to get past Lent restrictions drinking chocolate because as it was a liquid they could consume it. In WWII Germany had no chocolate coming in, and the little that did come in was made into emergency bars for soldiers because of its high nutrition value. In 1937 in the US, Nestle started producing chocolate bars. The US government had them make emergency chocolate bars for soldiers, but it could only be made under the condition that it couldn't taste like full chocolate, only like powdered potatoes. The reason being was that they didn't want soldiers eating the bar before an emergency. After going through the museum, I went down to the Grand Lux Cafe, I had an 'Exquisite hot chocolate with chili, tabasco, tequila, white rum and fresh cream', and spinach tortellini with tomato sauce. I never thought I'd say this, but the hot chocolate was a little much, too rich, too much of everything. I wasn't too wild about the tortellini either. It tasted like someone took a can of Cambell's tomato soup and poured it on top, I've definitely had better.

Rhine River

View of the twin peaks of the cathedral

The hot chocolate

Customizable chocolate bar from Lindt

Chocolate being made in house

Chocolate vending machines from generations back

Small arboretum in the Schokolade Museum
Chocolate fountain

Bridge to the Schokolade Museum


Next up was operation rain avoidance. I tried to go shopping for some summer clothes, but there were just masses of people. By the time I left the shopping district and headed back to the cathedral, the rain stopped. As I was approaching the cathedral, I heard dozens of girls screaming and saying OMG, swarming in mass around this spot by the cathedral. Turns out there was some Youtube stars were running around, but you would've thought it was Justin Bieber by the way the girls were screaming and swarming.
The masses once about 2/3 rds left.

Next up I went to the Roemisch-Germanische Museum to escape more rain that came around. This museum had more Roman artifacts than I have ever seen. They had everything from headstones, sarcophagi,  marble busts, mosaics, furniture handles, jewelry, weapons, glass of many types, coins, grooming artifacts (combs etc), wall paintings, pottery, you name it. I easily spent over 2 hours there. I'll just share a few pictures, because there are just so many that I took.


Very large mosaic floor (think auditorium size)






Lastly, I walked around some more, met an American couple from Michigan who were staying for a few days in Cologne. I went through several organic shops, and wished I had room in my refrigerator to get a few things from there. I also had dinner in a hole in the wall Chinese 'restaurant.' I had glass noodles with veggies. Not the best Chinese food ever, but still more flavorful than most German dining out foods I've had.

That's it for this adventure..... until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment